I have been asked by several what the SFFC Guild’s goals are and what the membership money will go toward. So I thought I would share a little of this here to give everyone a little more information to work with until we are ready to accept applications for membership.
(1) The first is to bring our official website and members-only forum (The Helicon) fully online and eventually provide a stipend for our officers, committee members and IT people.
(2) We will be filing for not-for-profit status (501(c)3) with the IRS. This is a legal process that does cost money along with taking a lot of time and effort to complete.
(3) We will establish a regularly produced newsletter, The Hippocrene, to help update members with Guild news, releases and other matters connected to science fiction and fantasy as well as feature articles on creators and industry news. One such article I’d like to see would address the Goodreads website, owned by Amazon, that allows trolls to post 1-star ratings and reviews that have nothing to do with the book but rather is a personal attack upon the author.
(4) Establish a weekly radio show on LA Talk Radio where Guild members will be on as guests to discuss their works and also to discuss issues directly related to sci-fi/fantasy and promote news and new releases related to Guild members. This network has dozens of daily shows that draw hundreds of thousands of listeners and is a proven vehicle to drive sales for creators.
(5) Promote science fiction and fantasy and the artists that create within these genres across multiple media outlets. Promote an environment where Guild members can collaborate with one another to create new projects.
(6) Establish a relationship with an IP attorney to help members with basic legal questions.
(7) Help serve as a large, unified organization to tackle industry-related issues with a strong and loud voice, that will benefit all of its member creators.
(8) Offer workshops, webinars, mentoring and other services to aid creators new and old in their chosen craft.
(9) Establish an annual adjudicated award.
(10) Establish an annual convention.
(11) Establish an official Hall of Fame to honor past creators for their contributions to science fiction and fantasy. This will not be a physical building but will be an online entity.
(12) Establish a fund to assist members in times of dire need/emergency.
As we continue forward, this list will be added to as we identify new areas of need. And regular reports will be made by the Treasurer accounting for every dollar taken in and paid out.
If you see something you think the Guild should look at adding, drop us a line and let us know. If we have the funding available and it is something that would be of great benefit to our membership we will definitely want to do it.